21st Century Dads Foundation
21CDF is a 501c3 created to address the issue of father absence, one of the root causes of what ails society.
There are approximately 24 million kids growing up across America without their dads. Children from father-absent homes are more likely to; drop out of school, abuse drugs and alcohol, get involved with crime and become incarcerated, become teen parents, have psychological problems and commit suicide.
There are a number of factors contributing to father absence, including, but not limited to:
- Out-of-Wedlock Births, which have increased from 11% in 1970 to 41% today
- Divorce, which strikes and estimated 1:2 marriages,
- Lack of Paternity Establishment, which is greater than 50% in some communities,
- Incarceration, which is more acute in certain populations,
- Abandonment, which can be both physical and emotional
- Lack of Employment, which results in lack of supporting basic needs
- Death, which occurs prematurely too often among low income families.
To learn more about father absence, click here.
On Oct 29, 2015, at a local TEDx event, fatherhood activist, philanthropic leader, and father of five David Hirsch calls out the truth about the 24m U.S. youth growing up without their fathers.
The impact is devastating these children, our communities and society. The 1/4 truth and broken narrative we’ve been lead to believe is financial support is all single moms need. The truth is, what kids need are responsible fathers who are present financially, physically, emotionally and spiritually. He asks us to focus on getting dads involved in the educational lives of children.