Congratulations on taking that first BIG step and seeking resources To Be The Best Father You Can Be to your child.
The Special Fathers Network (SFN) was created to assist fathers of young children with special needs. This would include newborns with known conditions such as Down Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy and many other circumstances. This also includes young children who were diagnosed later with all types of developmental delays, seizures, as well as those who suffered an injury such as loss of sight, hearing or a traumatic brain injury to name a few.
The SFN is a growing database of SFN Mentor Fathers who stand ready to be matched with a younger dad, like yourself, who is closer to the beginning of his journey raising a child with the same or similar special need. SFN Mentor Fathers have superior listening skills. They make themselves available on an ‘as needed basis’ to share their experiences so you can emulate what they got right and live vicariously through their mistakes. They will NOT offer legal or medical advice, that’s what lawyers and doctors are for.
More than 60 of the SFN Mentor Fathers have also done SFN Dad To Dad Podcast interviews, which are some of the most inspirational fathering stories you’ll ever hear.
Here Is Your Preliminary To Do List:
- Make yourself familiar with the SFN by further reviewing the 21CD website,
- Check out the SFN Dad To Dad Podcast series.
- Start by CLICKING HERE to listen to Preliminary SFN Dad To Dad Podcast.
- Review the roster of SFN Dad To Dad Podcasts for the one(s) that are most similar to your own situation. For example there are more than 20 interviews with dads raising children with Autism, 10 with Down Syndrome, 8 with Cerebral Palsy and many others.
- CLICK HERE to sign up to receive weekly email messages and links to the latest SFN Dad To Dad Podcasts, resources, events and important updates.
- CLICK HERE to join the SFN Closed Facebook Group exclusively for dads raising children with special needs,
- CLICK HERE to Like the SFN Facebook page to get periodic updates on events and other valuable resources,
- Most importantly CLICK HERE to request to be matched to a SFN Mentor Father who is ready willing and able to learn about your situation and share his experiences as someone who has already walked the walk you are embarking on.
- CLICK HERE to check out some excellent books on fathering and family leadership.
- Don’t see what you’re looking for or have a question? Please send an email to info@21stCenturyDads.org.
We’re thrilled you’ve taken the first steps to seek resources on how to be the best father you can be to your child. As a result of your engagement, your child benefits, the mother of your child benefits and so do you by connecting with other dads who have successfully ‘been there and done that.’
Welcome aboard and congratulations for being a 21st Century Dad, someone who is more intentional about his fathering with the goal of being present; physically, emotionally, financially and spiritually.
David Hirsch, founder
21st Century Dads Foundation